the building designed in 1934-35 by the dutch architect frits peutz was used initially as an emporium for fashion merchant peter schunck. 30 x 30 metres of surface area stand on props, which taper out towards the top. the outer skin, glazed on three sides, is a curtain wall. the intention was to exhibit the goods as at an open-air market. with the making of a passage outside the entrance, many running metres of display windows are created, a stroke of genius in the art of selling! Following comprehensive renovation the building was re-opened to the public in 2003 with library, museum and the vitruvianum.